Saturday, November 29, 2008

After a Thanksgiving that was hard to get through (we went to my in-laws, who i love but I wasn't feeling particularly social that day), Friday finally came and I was able to ask Dr. Adolph all the questions that had entered my mind. Wednesday and Thursday I was on the internet a lot looking for all the information i could. I think I have about 10 sites bookmarked under rhabdomyosarcoma. I hate the fact that I no longer have to look that word up to spell it. Anyway, here are the questions I had and the answers I got:

Are you the doctor throughout the procedures?

- No, only for the surgery.


Why does he have to lose a testicle? Is it attached?

- He will have to have a testicle removed if the tumor is malignant because of spreading or if it is benign but attached either directly or indirectly to the testicle.


How positive are you that the testicle must be removed?

- It is the most likely scenario.


Will having only one testicle affect his ability to have children?

- Not really. The infertility rate in thge general population is 2%. In men with one testicle it is 3%.


Will having only one testicle affect his ability to produce testosterone?

- No, one testicle produces enough for any male.


My wife told me about chemo but I read on the internet targeted radiation is often used.

- Only used if the lymph nodes were affected (swollen) which they are not.


Could you give me a better idea of what the treatment program will be like (days missed of school, how long to treat?

- The procedure will be done as an outpatient procedure barring complications. All other info on treatment would come from an oncologist although he would not return to school for the remainder of the week.


What is the best schedule to maintain to make sure he has the best chance of recovery?

- Normal before any treatment (chemo) and afterwards follow doctors instructions.


Is there anything we can do at home, possibly a special diet, which will help with his treatment? We will literally do anything?

- There is nothing that can be done for surgery (which is what the doctor deals with).


Is Ochsner and New Orleans, la the best place to treat someone for this condition?

- As this is a rather simple "procedure" one place is not necessarily better than any other FOR SURGERY.


Do you have any people we could talk to who has been through this?

- This would come from oncologist


Will a pathologist with experience in childhood cancer and tumors review the tumor mass?

- Yes


What do you know about and think about St. Jude?

- It is a good facility along with MD Anderson in Houston.


Would we benefit from a second opinion?

- No problem with getting a second opinion. He could recommend people. Also, there is no problem waiting a week to have the procedure so you could get a second opinion.


I had a more questions but they were answered with the ones above. I must say I was most impressed with Dr. Adolph and his willingness to sit through all the questions I had. I never felt rushed and, at the time, I had all my questions answered. Now, of course, I have more questions.


Well this should bring everyone current.

No comments: